Friday, April 29, 2011

The Soundtrack to my Life: Music, Books, and Movies



Hello ladies and gentlemen. This is a new "label" where I, Mary, will give you, the people, my recommendations on movies, music, and everything with pop culture value.

Music: There is a ton of new music out right now. Everything from rap to rock. Songs I would like to recommend  are "Money Grabber" by Fitz & the Tantrums; their sound is a mix of old-school soul, new wave, with a pop twist. I have to say I like their sound; it's very vintage, but also a breath of fresh air to the music scene. Another song I would like to suggest would be "Make Some Noise" by The Beastie Boys. I know they might look old, but they're better than ever with this first single off their new album. The music videos are great as well with tons of celebrity cameos by actors such as Orlando Bloom, Elijah Wood, Seth Rogen, and Jack Black. The actual Beastie Boys never make an appearance in the video, but they have the dressed as look-alikes of the rap-group. Check it out; its beats will get you in a good mood.

Books: Currently, I'm obsessed with Oscar Wilde. A genius writer of the 1890's has poems, plays, and novellas that are timeless, and still have great meaning to this day. Currently, I am reading Wilde's only complete Novel "The Picture of Dorian Gray." It's beauty comes from topics of a "starving artist", and his inspiration, (none other than, Dorian Gray), for "the greatest art he has ever done". It tells a story of love, loss, and what youth means in Society. I definitely recommend this to people who enjoy the classics, and who have a deep appreciation for art and all it's beauty.


My Blast of the Past song for the time being would be a flashback to the 90's, with "Spiderwebs" by No Doubt. This would be fans for ska mixed with power-pop. The song talks about a man who won't stop calling the lead singer (Gwen Stefani), as she refers to it as a "Telephonic Invasion". It will make you want to discover more artist like No Doubt. Toward the ska sound of the song you might want to look up Operation Ivy. It's perfect for teenage angst and adults could be reminded of their teenage years just by the  lyrics and slick guitar riffs.

Thank-you for reading; I hope you can find new things to discover and enjoy from this blog!

Written by Mary

2 comments:

  1. I love "Spiderwebs" and "Don't Speak." No Doubt was my first personal cd purchase. I would listen to it over and over again. Great Blast from the Past Song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete